Domain names are considered property in Canada and elsewhere. Some domain names have a significant inherent value beyond their initial acquisition cost. Domain names in our top domain name sales lists usually have one or more of the following characteristics:
- Short domain names
- Surname domain names
- Brandable domain names
- Spellable domain names
- Generic domain names
- Domain names that were registered before a business adopted a trademark in Canada
- Domain names that match trademarks of multiple different businesses or individuals.
Top domain sales 2017
sumo.com $1.5 million USD purchase by sumoMe.com
WPM.com $275,000 – West Monroe Partners, September 2017
Defiant.com $45,000 purchase by Feedjit, Inc., February 2017
CB.org $28,000 Forwards to CollegeBoard.org, for SAT and AP tests, September 2017
Nissei.com $22,500 An electronics seller that owns CasaNissei.com, September 2017
bs2.com $19,000 – Banco Bonsucesso S/A. that owns bonsucessoinformatica.com.br, September 2017
Rapiddo.com £10,000 purchase by Movile. Movile is a mobile content publisher in Madrid.
Setoo.com $10,000 by Kamet Ventures, an insurance technology startup incubator funded by AXA, September 2017
Olono.com $8,000 Olono is an artificial intelligence company; domain forwards to Olono.ai, September 2017
RoanokeCity.com $5,000 purchase by The City of Roanoke, Virginia
Izara.com €3,500 purchase by Danish IT company Izara Partners who use the ccTLD Izara.dk. €3,500 = $3678.47 US Dollar in February 2017
Failed Top Domain Bids
- In a shockingly high bid of $2,100,000 USD in a namejet action for bar.com, the owner didn’t sell because it didn’t meet his reserve price.
- The EstiBot Valuation of bar.com is $1,640,000 USD
- In addition to Bar.com the other domain names included in the lot being auctioned off are Bar.net, Cafes.com, Grill.com, Place.com, Pub.com and Shelter.com.
Top domain sales 2016
Hanes spent about $30,000 to buy the domain name T-Shirts.store
Top domain sales 2015
- Daypoint is an app for iPhones that helps you understand where your time goes, so you can make better decisions about how you spend it and live more consciously and meaningfully.
Older top domain sales
- Envelopes.com sold for $400,000 in 2009.
- Slack used to be SlackHQ.com
- Facebook used to be TheFacebook.com
- Dropbox used to be GetDropbox.com
- Mint used to be MyMint.com
- HalifaxHealth.com $16,200 purchase by Halifax Medical Center, owner of Halifax.org, in July 2012.
- MotoG.com $7,500 purchase by Motorola (Google) in November 2013