Proper trademark use is vital to obtaining and maintaining trademark registration.
When you first adopt a trademark, you may use the TM symbol. You may only use the R symbol after obtaining a trademark registration.
Proper Trademark Use
- Identify the trademark that you registered.
- Identify the goods and services that it is registered for.
- Use it on its own in on a product or website in a font size and style separate from other nearby text or it may be vulnerable in a section 45 cancellation proceeding.
- Make sure that the trademark font is legible.
Strategies Trademark Proper Use Video
Presentation by Cheryl Greenlee, an attorney with Bendix commercial vehicle systems in Elyria, Ohio.
Strategies to use in teaching your business stakeholders trademark proper use.
- Engage the engineering and product management teams together with the communications and marketing teams as soon as the trademark is cleared to ensure proper marking.